News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 27 Aug 2018
- August 29, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1. Which day is celebrated as the ‘International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade’?
a. August 1
b. August 15
c. August 23
d. August 31
• International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition, on August 23 of each year.
• Designated by UNESCO to memorialize the transatlantic slave trade.
• The International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition was first celebrated in many countries, in particular in Haiti, on August 23, 1998, and in Senegal on August 23, 1999.
2. Which one of the following is the only active aircraft carrier of India?
a. INS Vikrant
b. INS Virat
c. INS Kalvari
d. INS Vikramaditya
• INS Vikramaditya is a modified Kiev-class aircraft carrier which entered into service with the Indian Navy.
• Originally built as Baku and commissioned in 1987.The carrier was purchased by India on 20 January 2004 after years of negotiations.On 14 June 2014, she was formally inducted as INS Vikramaditya into the Indian Navy.
• INS Kalvari (S21) is the first of the six Kalvari-class submarine currently in service with the Indian Navy. It is a diesel-electric attack submarine which is designed by DCNS and was manufactured at Mazagon Dock Limited in Mumbai.
3. Where is the headquarters of The International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) situated?
b. New York
• The International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) is a prestigious non-government organisation dedicated to promoting the application of theory, methodology and scientific techniques for conservation of architectural and archaeological heritage across the world.
• Now headquartered in Paris, France.
• ICOMOS was founded in 1965 in Warsaw, Poland.
• ICOMOS is a partner in the International Committee of the Blue Shield (ICBS), which works to protect the world’s cultural heritage threatened by wars and natural disasters.
4. Which among the following cities does not have a cyclone warning centre in India?
• The Ministry of Earth Sciences has announced it will set up a cyclone warning centre in Kerala and boost weather forecasting in the state with another Doppler radar.
• The new centre will be set up in Thiruvananthapuram.
• At present, India Meteorological Centre (IMD) has six cyclone warning centres, four along the east coast at Chennai, Visakhapatnam, Bhubaneswar and Kolkata, and two along the west coast at Ahmedabad and Mumbai.
5. Which of the following statement relating to ‘Kowsar’ is correct?
a. It is a new variety of ant species discovered from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
b. It is a new species of wild banana discovered from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
c. It is the first fighter aircraft domestically manufactured by Iran.
d. It is a marine mammal generally found in the Gulf of Mannar.
• Iran has unveiled first domestically manufactured fighter jet nicknamed Kowsar.
• It is a fourth-generation fighter, with “advanced avionics” and multi-purpose radar.
• Scientists have discovered the new species Tetramorium krishnani and Tetramorium jarawa during a detailed island-wide survey of Havelock Island, a part of the Andaman archipelago.
• Musa paramjitiana: New species of wild banana discovered in Andaman and Nicobar.
• The dugong is a medium-sized marine mammal. It is one of four living species of the order Sirenia, which also includes three species of manatees.