News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 30 Aug 2018
- September 1, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1. The O-SMART scheme is related to which of the following sectors?
b. Ocean services and blue economy
c. Skill development
d. Shipping and navigation
• The umbrella scheme “Ocean Services, Technology, Observations, Resources Modelling and Science (O-SMART) encompasses a total of 16 sub-projects addressing ocean development activities such as Services, Technology, Resources, Observations and Science.
• The Ministry of Earth Sciences has proposed to continue the existing schemes for ocean sector in a focused way as a part of the umbrella scheme -O-SMART.
• India is aiming to create a blue economy for effective and efficient use of the vast ocean resources in a sustainable way, which would require a great deal of information on ocean science, development of technology and providing services.
2. Which of the following country hosted the ‘Exercise SCO Peace Mission 2018 ‘?
• Exercise Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Peace Mission 2018, the latest in ‘Peace Mission’ series formally started on 24 August 2018 at Chebarkul, Russia.
• The opening ceremony was conducted in Chebarkul, Russia with military contingents of the eight SCO member nations is participating in this exercise.It was for first time, since independence, India and Pakistan have simultaneously took part in military exercise.
• The SCO Peace Mission Exercise takes place every two years.
3. Which of the following organisations has its headquarters situated in Beijing, China?
I. New Development Bank
II. Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
III. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
IV. Asian Development Bank
Choose the correct code:
a. I and III only
b. III and IV only
c. II and III only
d. I and IV only
• The New Development Bank (NDB), formerly referred to as the BRICS Development Bank, is a multilateral development bank established by the BRICS states.Headquarters: Shanghai, China.
• The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) is a Eurasian economic, political and security organisation headquartered in Beijing, China. The Declaration on establishment of SCO was signed in June 2001.
• The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank is a multilateral development bank that aims to support the building of infrastructure in the Asia-Pacific region. Headquarters: Beijing, China.
• The Asian Development Bank is a regional development bank dedicated to reducing poverty in Asia and the Pacific established on 19 December 1966. Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines.
4. Which of the following is true regarding ‘Leptospirosis’?
a. It is a tropical, parasitic disease that affects the lymph nodes and lymph vessels.
b. It is a bacterial disease spread through the urine of infected animals.
c. It is an infection with leishmania parasites spread by sandflies.
d. It is an infection found in Asia and the west Pacific that can cause brain swelling.
• Humans can get leptospirosis through direct contact with urine from infected animals or through water, soil or food contaminated with their urine. It’s most common in warm climates. Also known as rat fever
• Option a- Filariasis
• Option c –Leishmaniasis
• Option d – Japanese encephalitis
5. Which of the following is true about ‘The Spitzer Space Telescope’?
a. It is a radio telescope used to receive radio waves from astronomical radio sources.
b. It is an infrared space telescope of NASA.
c. It is a space telescope that will be the successor to the Hubble Space Telescope.
d. It is Asia’s largest optical telescope.
• The Spitzer Space Telescope (SST), formerly the Space Infrared Telescope Facility (SIRTF), is an infrared space telescope.
• Launched into a solar orbit in 2003, and still operating as of 2018.It is the fourth and final of the NASA Great Observatories program.
• Option c – James Webb Space Telescope.
• Option d – Devasthal Optical Telescope also known as Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES telescope) was unveiled at Devasthal in Nainital District, Uttarakhand