News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 31 Aug 2018
- September 2, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1. Which of the following country is not a member of BIMSTEC grouping?
• The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is an international organisation of 7 nations of South Asia and South East Asia, including Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, SriLanka, Thailand, Bhutan and Nepal.
• Chairmanship is rotated in alphabetical order and the permanent secretariat is at Dhaka.
2. Which of the following national park holds the largest population of Nilgiri Tahr in the world?
a. Bandipur national park
b. Dachigam National Park
c. Namdapha National Park
d. Eravikulam National Park
• The Nilgiri Tahr is an endangered caprid listed in Schedule I of the Wildlife (Protection) Act 1972 and categorized as ‘endangered’ by the IUCN.
• It is endemic to the hill ranges of the Western Ghats of Southern peninsular India in pockets where a suitable mosaic of Montane Grasslands and rugged terrain exist.
• An estimated 700-800 Nilgiri Tahr inhabit Eravikulam National Park, making it the largest wild population in the world.
3. Which of the following is true about the ‘Hungry water‘?
a. It is the high-priced water when a city faces Zero Day water crisis.
b. It is the water carried in ships’ ballast tanks to improve stability, balance.
c. It is the murky, salty water from fracking shale gas and natural gas wells.
d. It is the water that is released below a dam.
• The water released below the dam has been termed “hungry water” because it has sufficient energy to transport sediment but the sediment has been captured behind the dam.
• Option b – Ballast water
• Option c – Flow back water
4. ‘Vostok 2018’ is an upcoming large military exercise to be held by which country?
• Russia is going to conduct Vostok-2018 (East-2018) military exercise in central and eastern Russian military districts from September 11 to 15, 2018.
• It will be biggest war games ever conducted by Russia since Zapad-81 (West-81) exercise conducted by erstwhile Soviet Union in 1981.
5. Which of the following day is celebrated as the ‘National Sports Day’?
a. August 1
b. August 15
c. August 29
d. August 31
• The National Sports Day is celebrated on 29th August every year to mark the birthday of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand.
• Dhyan Chand was born on 29th August 1905 in Allahabad.Dhyan Chand is Known as ‘The Magician’ of hockey for his superb ball control.
• In 1956, The Government of India awarded him the third highest civilian honour of Padma Bhushan.