News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 04 Sept 2018
- September 6, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1. Which of the following country is not a part of the NAFTA, a free trade agreement?
• The North American Free Trade Agreement, known usually as NAFTA, is a free trade agreement among Canada, the United States of America and Mexico.
• NAFTA went into effect on January 1, 1994.
• In short NAFTA can be referred to as the tripartite trading bloc of North American countries.
2. Who is the Chairman of the Western Ghats ecology expert panel (WGEEP)?
a. Krishnaswamy Kasturirangan
b. Madhav Dhananjaya Gadgil
c. Mukul Rohatgi
d. K. K. Venugopal
• Madhav Dhananjaya Gadgil (born 1942) is an Indian ecologist, academic, writer, columnist and the founder of the Centre for Ecological Sciences, a research forum under the aegis of the Indian Institute of Science.
• He is a former member of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister of India and the Head of the Western Ghats Ecology Expert Panel (WGEEP) of 2010, popularly known as the Gadgil Commission.
• He is a recipient of the Volvo Environment Prize and the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement. The Government of India awarded him the fourth highest civilian award of the Padma Shri in 1981 and followed it up with the third highest award of the Padma Bhushan in 2006.
• The Western Ghats Ecology Expert Panel (WGEEP), also known as the Gadgil Commission after its chairman Madhav Gadgil, is an environmental research commission appointed by the Ministry of Environment and Forests of India.
3. Which of the following multilateral export control regime does not have India as its member?
a. Nuclear Suppliers Group
b. Missile Technology Control Regime
c. Wassenaar Arrangement
d. Australia Group
• A Multilateral Export Control Regime is an international body that states use to organize their national export control systems.There are currently four such regimes:
• The Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) is a group of 48 member countries established in 1992 and focused on stemming the proliferation of nuclear weapons. China is a member of NSG and opposes India’s entry into the group.
• The Australia Group (AG) for control of chemical and biological technology that could be weaponized.
• The Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) for the control of rockets and other aerial vehicles capable of delivering weapons of mass destruction.
• The Wassenaar Arrangement (WA) on Export Controls for Conventional Arms and Dual-Use Goods and Technologies
4. Which of the following country is not a member of the European Union?
b. Czech Republic
• The Kingdom of Norway is not a member state of the European Union (EU).
• It is associated with the Union through its membership in agreements in the European Economic Area (EEA) established in 1994, and by virtue of being a founding member of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) which was founded in 1960.
• Norway had twice considered joining the European Community and the European Union, but opted to decline following referenda in 1972 and 1994.
5. Which of the following is not a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC)?
• The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations. It is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security. UNSC was founded in 1945.
• The Security Council consists of fifteen members. The 5 permanent members are: The Russian Federation, The United Kingdom, France, China and The United States of America.
• The permanent members can veto any substantive Security Council resolution, including those on the admission of new member states or candidates for Secretary-General.
• The Security Council also has 10 non-permanent members, elected on a regional basis to serve two-year terms.The body’s presidency rotates monthly among its members.