News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 08 Sept 2018
- September 11, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1. Which of the following ports are closest to the Strait of Hormuz?
• Bandar-e-Abbasis is a port city on the southern coast of Iran, on the Persian Gulf. The city occupies a strategic position on the narrow Strait of Hormuz, and it is the location of the main base of the Iranian Navy
• Chabahar is Iran’s only oceanic port located on the Gulf of Oman, southeast of Iran near Pakistani border. It has been jointly developed by India and Iran.
• Gwadar Port is a warm water port located in Pakistan’s Balochistan Province. It is a deep sea port located on the Arabian Sea in Gwadar. This port is deemed as a link between China’s One Belt One Road project and its Maritime Silk Road Project. It features majorly in the CPEC or China-Pakistan Economic Corridor plan.
2. Recently, the Indian soldiers were honoured, who took part in the Battle of Haifa, which took place as a part of which of the following wars?
a. World War I
b. World War II
c. Afghan War
d. Gulf War
• The northern Israeli coastal city of Haifa recently celebrated the centenary year of its liberation from Ottoman rule during World War I. It honoured the brave Indian soldiers who laid down their lives in what they called as “the last great cavalry campaign in history”.
• Battle of Haifa took place on 23rd September 1918.It is called Haifa dayever-since.
• Another battle took place in Haifa in 1948, which is also referred to as Battle of Haifa / Operation Bi’ur Hametz by the Jewish forces. It was a major event in the final stages of the civil war in Palestine, leading up to the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. The objective of the operation was the capture of the Arab neighbourhoods of Haifa.
3. Which of the following cities is a part of the Mobilise Your City (MYC) Programme?
1. New Delhi
Choose the correct code:
a. 1, 2 and 4 only
b. 3, 5 and 6 only
c. 1, 2, 5 and 6 only
d. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
• Mobilise Your City (MYC) is part of an international initiative which is supported by the French and the German Governments and was launched at 21st Conference of Parties (COP21) meeting in December, 2015.
• The MYC aims at supporting three pilot cities viz. Nagpur, Kochi and Ahmedabad in their efforts to reduce their Green House Gas (GHG) emissions related to urban transport by implementing urban mobility plans at local level and to help India at national level to improve their sustainable transport policy.
• Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation will oversee the implementation efforts.
4. Which of the following day is celebrated as the International Literacy Day?
a. September 1
b. September 8
c. September 14
d. September 30
• The International Literacy Day (declared by UNESCO in 1966) is being observed on 8th September every year throughout the world to raise public awareness to eradicate illiteracy and create an environment in favour of adult education programs.
• This year’s theme is ‘Literacy and skills development.’
• This year’s theme explores integrated approaches that simultaneously support the development of literacy and skills, to ultimately improve people’s lives and work and contribute to equitable and sustainable societies.
5. Which of the following athlete was recently declared as the Sports Ambassador of Assam?
a. Bajrang Punia
b. Jinson Johnson
c. Saurabh Chaudhary
d. Hima Das
• Assam Govt. has made Asian Games medallist Hima Das as the Sports Ambassador of the state. Hima has won 3 medals in the concluded 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta and Palembang, Indonesia
• Bajrang Punia (Gold) in Wrestling.
• Jinson Johnson (Gold) in Athletics
• Saurabh Chaudhary (Gold) in Shooting