News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 13 Sept 2018
- September 15, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1. ‘VC11184’ is the designation of India’s first missile tracking ship of Indian Navy, which was built by which among the following ship building centre?
a. Cochin Shipyard, Kochi.
b. Hindustan Shipyard, Vizag.
c. Mazagon Dock, Mumbai.
d. Goa Shipyard, Goa.
• VC11184 is the designation of a missile tracking ocean surveillance ship.
• It is constructed by Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL), Visakhapatnam (aka Vizag) for the Indian Navy.
• The purpose of the ship is to support the development of India’s strategic weapons and the Indian Ballistic Missile Defence Programme.
• Hindustan Shipyard Limited is a shipyard located in Visakhapatnam on the east coast of India. It is a Govt. of India Undertaking administered by the Ministry of Defence.
2. The Report-‘Exporting Corruption’ is released by which among the following organizations?
a. All India Anti-Corruption, Crime Prevention, Human Rights Committee
b. International Monetary Fund
c. Transparency International
d. Anti-Corruption Council of India
• Transparency International has released the 2018 edition of its Exporting Corruption report, rating countries based on their enforcement against foreign bribery under the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention.
• Transparency International is an international non-governmental organization. Founded in 1993, it is headquartered in Berlin, Germany.
• Its aim is to take action to combat global corruption and prevent criminal activities arising from corruption. It publishes, the Global Corruption Barometer and the Corruption Perceptions Index.
• Key findings:
• India is among four countries with “no or little enforcement” mechanism to check foreign bribery.
China, Hong Kong, India and Singapore, all with 2 percent or more of world exports are not parties to the OECD (Anti-Bribery) Convention.
3. Which among the following cities is the home of India’s first Railway University?
• India’s very first Railway University – the National Rail and Transportation Institute (NRTI) at Vadodara in Gujarat, started operating on Teachers’ Day ie. September 5, 2018.
• The Vice-Chancellor of the university is the Chairman of the Railway Board, Ashwani Lohani.
• The railway university was announced in the Railway Budget of 2014.
• The National Academy of Indian Railways is also situated in the same campus.
4. The report – ‘India State-level Disease Burden’ is published by which of the following body?
a. Department of Health Research
b. National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC)
c. Doctors Without Borders
d. None of the above
• The India State-level Disease Burden Initiative was launched in October 2015 to address this crucial knowledge gap with support from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of the Government of India.
• This is a collaborative effort between the Indian Council of Medical Research, Public Health Foundation of India, Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, and experts and stakeholders from about 100 institutions across India.
• Médecins Sans Frontières, also known in English as Doctors Without Borders, is an international humanitarian medical non-governmental organisation of French origin best known for its projects in conflict zones and in countries affected by endemic diseases.
5. Who among the following has been nominated for Arjuna Award 2018?
a. Amit Panghal
b. Jinson Johnson
c. Hima Das
d. Neeraj Chopra
• Indian boxer Amit Panghal (Asian Games gold medal-winner) has been nominated for this year’s Arjuna Awards by the Boxing Federation of India.
• Amit joined Sonia Lather and Gaurav Bidhuri in the list of boxing nominees for the second highest sporting honour after the Khel Ratna.
• Amit claimed the light flyweight (49kg) category gold after defeating reigning Olympic champion Hasanboy Dusmatov of Uzbekistan in the Jakarta -Asian Games 2018 -final.
• The National Sports Awards ceremony held on (every year on 29th August) to commemorate the birth anniversary of hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand, will be organised on (25th September 2018).