News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 14 Sept 2018
- September 17, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1. The ‘Global Adult Tobacco Survey’ (GATS) is conducted by which among the following?
a. International Union for Cancer Control
b. World Lung Foundation
d. World Health Organization
• Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS) by WHO, is a nationally representative household survey of adults 15 years of age or older that is intended to enhance the capacity of countries to design, implement and evaluate tobacco control interventions such as the WHO MPOWER, a package of six evidence-based demand reduction measures contained in the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC).
• GLOBALink is the Geneva-based, worldwide online tobacco-control community.
• The World Lung Foundation is a non-profit foundation established in 2004 to support private organizations and government agencies who work to improve lung health (mainly tobacco control, asthma and tuberculosis), predominantly in low- and middle-income countries.
• The International Union for Cancer Control is a global network consisting of more than 760 member organizations in 155 countries, focused on cancer control on a global scale.
• The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health. It was established on 7 April 1948, and is headquartered in Geneva. Established in 1998, the WHO Tobacco Free Initiative is part of the Non-communicable Diseases and Mental Health cluster at WHO headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
2. Which of the following financial institutions can provide loans as per ‘Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana’?
I. Public sector commercial banks.
II. Private sector commercial banks.
III. Foreign banks.
IV. Micro-financing institutions.
V. Non-Banking Finance Companies.
Choose the correct code:
a. I and II only
b. I, II and IV only
c. I, II, III and IV only
d. I, II, III, IV and V
• Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) is a flagship scheme of Government of India to “fund the unfunded” by bringing such enterprises to the formal financial system and extending affordable credit to them. It enables a small borrower to borrow from all Public Sector Banks such as PSU Banks, Regional Rural Banks and Cooperative Banks, Private Sector Banks, Foreign Banks, Micro Finance Institutions (MFI) and Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFC) for loans upto Rs 10 lakhs for non-farm income generating activities.
• In the above backdrop the Micro Units Development & Refinance Agency Ltd (MUDRA) was set up as a wholly owned subsidiary of Small Industries Development bank of India (SIDBI) with 100% capital being contributed by it.
• This Agency would be responsible for developing and refinancing all Micro-enterprises sector by supporting the finance Institutions which are in the business of lending to micro / small business entities engaged in manufacturing, trading and service activities. MUDRA would partner with Banks, MFIs and other lending institutions at state level / regional level to provide micro finance support to the micro enterprise sector in the country.
3. The ‘Nuakhai Festival’ which has been in news, is celebrated in which of the following state?
• The festival of Nuakhai is celebrated in Odisha.
• During this harvest festival of western Odisha, new produce Nabann is offered to presiding deities.
• After offering the Nabann, people relish different types of delicacies prepared from the newly harvested crop.
• The Nuakhai Juhar is a major ritual of the festival, during which greetings are exchanged with friends, relatives and well-wishers.
4. The UN Interagency Task Force (UNIATF) Award is related to which of the following areas?
a. Control of non-communicable disease.
b. Protection of forests and wildlife
c. Cleaning seas
d. Combating desertification
• Shri Manoj Jhalani has been conferred with the prestigious UN Interagency Task Force (UNIATF) Award for his outstanding contribution towards prevention and control of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and related Sustainable Development Goals.
• Mr Jhalani is the Additional Secretary & Mission Director (NHM), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. It is in recognition of Government of India’s efforts made in the field of prevention and control of Non-Communicable Diseases.
• The United Nations Interagency Task Force (UNIATF) on the Prevention and Control of NCDs coordinates the activities of relevant UN organizations and other inter-governmental organizations to support governments to meet high-level commitments to respond to NCD epidemics worldwide.
• The commitments were made by Heads of State and Government in the 2011 Political Declaration on NCDs. The task force was established by the UN Secretary-General in June 2013 and placed under the leadership of WHO.
5. Who among the following has recently sworn in as the President of Colombia?
a. Juan Manuel Santos
b. Nicolas Maduro
c. Ivan Duque
d. Antonio Guterres
• Presidential elections were held in Colombia on 27 May 2018. As no candidate received a majority of the vote, a second round was held on 17 June.
• The newly elected President Iván Duque is serving a four-year term from 7 August 2018 to 7 August 2022.
• The President of Colombia is elected using the two-round system; if no candidate receives a majority of the vote in the first round, a run-off is held between the top two candidates.
• The election of the President is made along with the Vice President’s and their stay in office will be four years without the possibility of re-election.
• Antonio Guterres – is the incumbent Security General of the United Nations.