News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 17 Nov 2018
- November 19, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1) OSIRIS-Rex is an initiative of space organisation of which of the following countries?
d) European Union
• NASA OSIRIS Rex begins asteroid operations.
OSIRIS -Rex mission:
• The OSIRIS-REx (Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security, Regolith Explorer) is a NASA asteroid study and sample-return mission.
• Its mission is to study asteroid 101955 Bennu, a carbonaceous asteroid.
• The material returned is expected to enable scientists to learn more about the formation and evolution of the Solar System.
• If successful, OSIRIS-REx will be the first U.S. spacecraft to return samples from an asteroid.
• It is the third planetary science mission selected in the New Frontiers program, after Juno and New Horizons.
• Mission objectives:
o Return and analyze a sample of Bennu’s surface.
o Map the asteroid
o Document the sample site.
o Measure the orbit deviation caused by non-gravitational forces (the Yarkovsky effect).
o Compare observations at the asteroid to ground-based observations.
2) Central and State Statistical Organizations (COCSSO) Conference was recently held in
a) New Delhi
Conference of Central and State Statistical Organization:
• COCSSO is an annual conference which provides a platform for the Central and State statisticians to exchange views and discuss common issues relating to statistical activities.
• The theme of the 26th Conference: “Quality Assurance in Official Statistics”.
• A number of recommendations were made during the conference on the issues of ensuing and enhancing quality of data brought out by Central and State Governments.
• The Conference also came out with a series of recommendations for strengthening the statistical system of the country.
• Objectives of the Conference:
o To provide a platform for discussion on the statistical issues of common interest to the Central and the State Statistical Organisations;
o To provide an overall perspective to the development of statistical system and to make recommendations/suggestions on issues having bearing on the development of the statistical system;
o To solve the technical issues relating to statistics;
o To set up Working Groups on specific issues/tasks relating to official statistics;
o To provide guidelines in the collection of statistics and maintenance of statistical standards and quality, besides uniformity in statistical standards;
o To consider the Action Taken Report of the follow up action on the recommendations of the previous meetings(s) of COCSSO; and
To review the role of the Statistical Advisers in the Central and States/UT Governments
3) Zero Budget Natural Farming evolved in which of the following Indian states?
d) Himachal Pradesh
• The farming scenario in Kerala is ideal for adapting Zero Budget Natural Farming.
Zero Budget Natural Farming:
• Zero Budget Natural Farming (ZBNF) is a set of farming methods, and also a grassroots peasant movement, which has spread to various states in India.
• It has attained wide success in southern India, especially the southern Indian state of Karnataka where it first evolved.
• Padmashree awardee Subhash Palekar is the man behind Zero Budget Natural Farming method.
• Karnataka was the first state in India to adopt Zero benefit Natural farming technique.
• Important benefits:
o Reduction in farmer’s investment, not their production.
o Protection of soil from degradation.
o Least possible water consumption of water and electricity with only one native co resources capable of implementing zero budget natural farming process up to 30 crores of land.
o Non-toxic production with least possible investment in extensive labour requirement.
o An increase of warmth and darkness in soil due to soil mulching.
o Zero use of hybrid seeds.
4) Which of the following freedom fighters gave up the title of Rai Bahadur conferred on him by the British during Non-Cooperation Movement?
a) Jamnalal Bajaj
b) Udham Singh
c) Ashfaqulla Khan
d) Vinoba Bhave
• Jamnalal Bajaj was a multifaceted man a freedom fighter, businessman, social reformer and philanthropist.
• He exemplified India’s core philosophy of share and care and strove for women’s empowerment, elimination of untouchability, uplift of the downtrodden and promotion of khadi.
• He returned the title of ‘Rai Bahadur’ conferred on him by the British during the Non-Cooperation Movement.
5) Aadi Mahotsav, an exhibition-cum-sale of tribal handicrafts, art, paintings, fabric, jewellery etc, is an initiative of
a) NITI Aayog
b) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
c) Society for Rural Urban & Tribal Initiative
d) Friends of Tribal Society
• Ministry of tribal affairs has organised Aadi Mahotsav
• The Mahotsav comprises of display and sale of items of tribal art and craft, tribal medicine & healers, tribal cuisine and display of tribal folk performance, in which tribal artisans, chefs, folk dancers/musicians from 23 States of the country.
• Theme of festival: A Celebration of the Spirit of Tribal Culture, Craft, Cuisine and Commerce.
• The Mahotsav features exhibition-cum-sale of tribal handicrafts, art, paintings, fabric, jewellery and much more through 100 stalls.
• Over 200 tribal artisans and artists from different States creating a Mini-India are participating in the festival.