News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 24 Nov 2018
- November 26, 2018
- Posted by: DOTS ACADEMY
- Category: Quizes
1) Sangai festival is an annual cultural festival organised in which of the following Indian states?
d) Himachal Pradesh
• Sangai festival begins in Manipur.
• Sangai festival is an annual cultural festival organised by Manipur Tourism Department every year in the month of November.
• Even though many editions of this Festival has been celebrated over the past few years with the name of Tourism Festival, since 2010 this has been renamed as the Sangai Festival to stage the uniqueness of the shy and gentle brow-antlered deer popularly known as the Sangai Deer.
• The Manipur Sangai Festival, a platform to showcase the rich cultural heritage of the state.
• The Sangai festival since its inception has become the biggest socio-cultural event of Manipur.
• Unlike previous years, this time, the fest is being organised at five venues including Imphal and other hill districts of Manipur.
• The Sangai is an endemic and endangered subspecies of brow-antlered deer found only in Manipur, India.
• It is also the state animal of Manipur.
• Its original natural habitat is the floating marshy grasslands of the Keibul Lamjao National Park, located in the southern parts of the Loktak Lake.
• IUCN Status: Endangered.
2) The Global Findex Report is published by which of the following organisations?
a) World Economic Forum
c) World Bank
d) International Financial Corporation
• Published by: World bank.
• The Global Findex database is the world’s most comprehensive data set on how adults save, borrow, make payments, and manage risk.
• Launched with funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the database has been published every three years since 2011.
3) Justice G Rohini commission has been constituted by the central government to examine the issue of
a) Direct tax legislation
b) Sub-categorisation of OBCs
c) Prison reform
d) Competition law review
• The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister has approved the extension of the term of the Commission to examine the issue of Sub-categorization of OBC’s.
• Sub categorisation of OBC’s:
o To create ‘quota within quota’, the Union Cabinet has set up of a commission to examine the matter of sub-categorisation of Other Backward Classes (OBCs).
o The commission, to be set up under Article 340 of the Constitution, will identify the respective castes/communities/sub-castes/synonyms in the Central list and classify them into sub-categories.
• Terms of reference of the Commission are as under:
o To examine the extent of inequitable distribution of benefits of reservation among the castes or communities included in the broad category of Other Backward Classes with reference to such classes included in the Central List.
o To work out the mechanism, criteria, norms and parameters in a scientific approach for sub-categorisation within such Other Backward Classes.
o To take up the exercise of identifying the respective castes or communities or sub-castes or synonyms in the Central List of Other Backward Classes and classifying them into their respective sub-categories.
• Why sub categorisation of OBC’s are important?
o Sub categorization of the OBCs will ensure that the more backward among the OBC communities can also access the benefits of reservation for educational institutions and government jobs.
o While expanding social justice to those who have yet failed to benefit from the OBC quota is one stated goal behind the move.
4) Go Bid mobile app, aimed at retail investors, has been launched by which of the following organisations?
b) EXIM Bank
c) National Stock Exchange
• NSE Go Bid mobile app has been launched.
NSE Go BID Mobile app:
• In a bid to make it easier for retail investors to invest in government bonds directly, the National Stock Exchange has offered a mobile application and web-based platform :“NSE go BID” (Government Bond Investment Destination).
• NSE goBID and web-based platform for investing in government securities will be available to all investors registered with trading members of NSE.
• The NSE goBID facility aims to provide a common platform for all members of the exchange and to enable their clients/investors to participate directly in non-competitive bidding in a seamless manner.
• The facility will be available via a web link and also on NSE goBID mobile app, for mobile phones with Android 4.4 version and above.
• NSE goBID will offer a ready infrastructure to the trading members of the NSE for order collection, payment, refunds, transfer of bonds.
5) Who among the following has been appointed as the first ‘Youth Advocate’ of north-eastern region by UNICEF?
a) Mary Kom
b) Nahid Afrin
c) Baichung Bhutiya
d) Kiran Rijiju
• Popular singer Nahid Afrin of Assam has been appointed as the first ‘Youth Advocate’ of the north eastern region by the UNICEF to fight for child rights.
• The UNICEF engages ‘Youth Advocates’ to harness their voice as agents of change in society.
• UNICEF believes that the voice of the young population makes more impact as they have a unique power to galvanise their peers around issues they are passionate about