News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 08 Dec 2018
- December 10, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1) Global Hackathon on Artificial Intelligence, was recently launched in India by
b) Centre for Development of Advanced Computing
c) NITI Aayog
• NITI Aayog has recently launched the Global Hackathon.
• The Global Hackathon is launched with a vision to expand the idea of ‘Artificial Intelligence, AI for All’ articulated in the National AI Strategy.
• Taking the initiative forward, NITI Aayog is now partnering with Perlin – a Singapore-based AI starts up – to launch the ‘AI 4 All Global Hackathon.
• It is also inviting developers, students, start-ups and companies to develop AI applications to make significant positive social and economic impact for India.
• The objective of this hackathon is to promote awareness and subsequently develop solutions that deliver the twin benefit of efficient computing to address the infrastructure challenges, while also not compromising on the privacy of data for training AI algorithms.
• Earlier hackathons by Niti Ayog:
o NITI Aayog organized its first hackathon, ‘MoveHack’ on the sidelines of the Global Mobility Summit 2018.
o It is launched with aim of garnering cutting-edge mobility applications.
2) The Skoch Award for National Significance, 2018 was awarded to which one of the following ministries?
a) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
b) Ministry of Human Resource Development
c) Ministry of Social Justice
d) Ministry of New and Renewable Energy
• Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India has been awarded the Skoch Award for National Significance.
• The award has been conferred on the Ministry considering its purpose and critical role played in installing about 73 GW renewable energy capacity in the country.
• With 21 percent of total installed capacity, within the year renewable energy grossed a magic figure of providing one billion units of electricity in the country.
• Presently India ranks 4 in the world in wind energy capacity and 5th in solar & total renewable energy capacity installed in the world.
• India has played a critical role in setting up of the international solar alliance.
3) The Food and Agricultural Organisation has approved India’s proposal to observe an International Year of Millets in
• The 160th session of the Food and Agricultural Organisation has approved India’s proposal to observe an International Year of Millets in 2023.
• This international endorsement comes in the backdrop of India celebrating 2018 as the National Year of Millets for promoting cultivation and consumption of these nutri-cereals.
• Millets consist of Jowar, Bajra, Ragi and minor millets together termed as nutri-cereals.
• In addition, the FAO Council also approved India’s membership to the Executive Board of the United Nations World Food Program (WFP) for 2020 and 2021.
4) Which of the following is the first probe ever launched to explore the dark side of the Moon?
a. Chang’e-4 mission
• China has launched the first mission to land a robotic craft on the far side of the Moon
• The Chang’e-4 mission will see a static lander and rover touch down in Von Kármán crater, located on the side of the Moon which never faces Earth.
• The payload blasted off atop a Long March 3B rocket from Xichang Satellite Launch Center.
• The mission will pave the way for the country to deliver samples of Moon rock and soil to Earth.
5) SMART Project aimed at achieving sustainable farming within the next 3 years is an initiative of which of the following states?
d) Madhya Pradesh
• The Maharashtra state government has launched – State of Maharashtra Agribusiness and Rural Transformation (SMART) – in 10,000 villages aimed at achieving sustainable farming within the next 3 years.
• The project will cover almost one-fourth of Maharashtra. The focus is on villages which are reeling under the worst agriculture crisis compounded by lack of infrastructure and assured value chains to channelise the farm produce.