News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 13 Dec 2018
- December 15, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1) Mekadatu Dam Project is an initiative of which of the following Indian states?
a) Tamil Nadu
Mekadatu project and the dispute:
• Mekadatu is a location along Kaveri in Kanakapura Taluk of Ramanagara District.
• Karnataka intends to build a reservoir across river Cauvery near Mekedatu.
• It was first proposed along with Shivanasamudra hydropower project at Shimsa in 2003 with an intention to use the water for a hydropower station and supply drinking water to Bengaluru city.
• However, Tamil Nadu objected saying Karnataka had not sought prior permission for the project.
• Its argument was that the project would affect the flow of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
• According to experts, Mekedaatu, located about 110 km from Bengaluru, could address the city’s growing thirst in the near future provided neighbouring Tamil Nadu does not spoil Karnataka’s plans.
2) Partners’ Forum is a global health partnership organised by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare along with which of the following organisations?
a) Partnership for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health
b) Center for Disease Control and Prevention
c) Partners in Health
d) CARE International
• The Partners’ Forum is co-hosted by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Partnership of Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (PMNCH).
• The two-day event brings together more than 1200 participants from 85 countries in New Delhi, to deliberate on issues of health and well-being of women, children and adolescents.
• Partners’ Forum is a global health partnership launched in September 2005 to accelerate efforts to reduce child and maternal mortality, improve adolescent, child, newborn and maternal health.
• This partnership is an alliance of more than 1,000 plus members, across 10 constituencies in 92 countries: academic, research and teaching institutions; donors and foundations; health care professionals; multilateral agencies; non-governmental organizations; partner countries; global financing mechanisms and the private sector.
3) Who among the following is the new Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI)?
a) Krishnamurthy Subramanian
b) Gita Gopinath
c) Shaktikanta Das
d) Subramaniam Swamy
• Former economic affairs secretary Shaktikanta Das was named the 25th governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to succeed Dr. Urjit Patel
4) What is India’s rank in the Climate Performance Index, 2018 released by the international NGO Germanwatch?
• India ranks 11th in this year’s CCPI, improving its standing by three places compared to the previous edition
• Most notably India improved its performance in the renewable energy category, joining the group of medium performers
• However, international NGO Germanwatch warns that coal projects threaten India’s progress on clean energy.
5) Who among the following athletes were honoured with Meethoileima title recently?
a) Mary Kom
b) Hima Das
c) Mithali Raj
d) Deepa Karmakar
• Manipur government conferred MC Mary Kom, six times World Women Boxing Champion and Olympic bronze medalist, with the title “Meethoileima” for her outstanding achievement in the field of boxing.
• The title “Meethoileima” (loosely translated as great or exceptional lady) was conferred by Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh in a felicitation ceremony held at Khuman Lampak Sports Complex in Imphal