News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 27 Mar 2019
- March 29, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1. Mt Makalu, recently seen in news, is located in the continent of
- North America
- First Indian Army Mountaineering Expedition to Mt Makalu (8485m) comprising five Officers, two JCOs and eleven OR was flagged off by Director General Military Training on 26 Mar 2019.
- Among the eight mountains in Nepal above 8000m, Mt. Makalu is the fourth tallest in Nepal and fifth highest Peak on the Earth with its height 8,463m. Mt. Makalu resides in the eastern Himalayas range just 19Km southeast of the giant Mt. Everest in the border of Nepal and China.
2. Mission Shakti, recently initiated by India, is related to
- Anti-satellite missile
- Environment conservation
- Deep ocean mission
- None of the above
- In an address to the nation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that India has destroyed a live low-orbiting satellite during a missile test that puts the country in the space “super league”
- India has entered its name as an elite space power. An anti-satellite weapon A-SAT, successfully targeted a live satellite on a low earth orbit.
- ‘Mission Shakti’ operation was a difficult target to achieve which was completed successfully within three minutes of launch.
3. GRAPES-3 muon telescope is located in which of the following places?
- For the first time in the world, researchers at the GRAPES-3 muon telescope facility in Ooty have measured the electrical potential, size and height of a thundercloud that passed overhead on December 1, 2014.
- At 1.3 gigavolts (GV), this cloud had 10 times higher potential than the previous record in a cloud. This is not because clouds with such high potentials are a rarity, but rather, because the methods of detection have not been successful so far.
4. Global Energy & CO2 Status Report 2018 was recently released by
- World Economic Forum
- International Energy Agency (IEA)
- The IEA’s second Global Energy and CO2 Status Report – released in March 2019 – provides a snapshot of recent global trends and developments across fuels, renewable sources, and energy efficiency and carbon emissions, in 2018.
5. The Global Multidimensional Poverty Index was recently released by
- World Bank
- Cornell University
- The United Nations development Programme (UNDP) and the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI) developed a new version of the global Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI).
- The global MPI covers 105 countries in total, which are home to 77 per cent of the world’s population, or 5.7 billion people. Of this proportion, 23 per cent of people (1.3 billion) are identified as multi-dimensionally poor.