News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 04 May 2019
- May 6, 2019
- Posted by: DOTS IAS
- Category: Quizes
1) Sri Vedanta Desikan was a follower of
• The Vice President, Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu released a postage stamp to commemorate the 750th birth anniversary of Sri Vedanta Desikan in New Delhi.
• Sri Vedanta Desikan is one of the most prominent preceptors in the Srivaishnava tradition and one of the most effulgent luminaries to have graced this land’
• He was a poet, devotee, philosopher and master-teacher (desikan). He was the disciple of Kidambi Appullar, also known as Aathreya Ramanujachariar, who himself was of a master-disciple lineage that began with Ramanuja
2) Asian Development Outlook 2019 was recently released by
a) Asian Infrastructure Development Bank
b) Asian Development Bank
c) World Bank
d) United Nations
• The Asia-Pacific region is expected to grow at 5.7% in 2019 according to the Asian Development Bank’s Asian Development Outlook 2019 report
3) The Ministry of Defence has recently cleared Indian Navy’s deal for 10 Kamov-31 helicopters from
• The defence ministry has approved the procurement of 10 Kamov Ka-31 Airborne Early Warning and Control helicopters for the Indian Navy from Russia
• The cost of the deal would be around Rs 3,600 crore and the 10 helicopters would be deployed on the aircraft carriers and warships of the Navy including the INS Vikrant and Grigorovich-class frigates.
• The aim of the choppers is to sanitise the air space around the battle groups led by the aircraft carriers while carrying out operations in the sea or anti-submarine warfare operations
4) Chandrayaan-2, scheduled to be launched in July, will be launched with
b) GSLV Mk II
d) GSLV Mk III
• India is likely to have a date with history and destiny on September 6, when Chandrayaan-2 will land on Moon.
• The orbiter, lander (Vikram) & rover (Pragyan)-Chandrayaan-2 has three modules
• The orbiter and lander modules will be interfaced mechanically and stacked together as an integrated module and accommodated inside the GSLV MK-III launch vehicle. The rover is housed inside the lander
5) Which of the following asteroids will cruise by Earth, about 31,000 km above the surface in 2029?
• An asteroid called 99942 Apophis will cruise harmlessly by Earth, about 31,000 km above the surface. That’s within the distance that some of our spacecraft that orbit Earth.
• It’s rare for an asteroid of this size to pass by the Earth so close. Although scientists have spotted small asteroids, on the order of 5-10 metres, flying by Earth at a similar distance, asteroids the size of Apophis are far fewer in number and so do not pass this close to Earth as often