News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 14 May 2019
- May 16, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1) The Strait of Hormuz separates which among the following countries?
a) Iran and Oman
b) Yemen and Djibouti
c) Australia and New Zealand
d) India and Sri Lanka
• The Strait of Hormuz, a vital shipping route linking Middle East oil producers to markets in Asia, Europe, North America and beyond, has been at the heart of regional tensions for decades.
• The waterway separates Iran and Oman, linking the Gulf to the Gulf of Oman and Arabian Sea.
• The Strait is 21 miles (33 km) wide at its narrowest point, but the shipping lane is just two miles (three km) wide in either direction.
2) The renowned Cannes Film Festival is held annually in which country?
• One of the most prestigious international events from the world of cinema, the Cannes Film Festival, begins in France
3) The Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, 2010 is implemented in India by
a) Reserve Bank of India
b) Bank Boards Bureau
c) Ministry of Home Affairs
d) Ministry of Finance
• The Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, 2010 and rules framed under it (the “FCRA” or “Act”) regulate the receipt and usage of foreign contribution by non-governmental organisations (“NGOs”) in India.
• As per news reports, as many as 11,000 NGOs have even lost their permit to receive foreign contribution.
• The intent of the Act is to prevent use of foreign contribution or foreign hospitality for any activity detrimental to the national interest. It is implemented by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India
4) The High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) flight tested by DRDO is named
• Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) conducted successful flight test of ABHYAS – High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) from Interim Test Range, Chandipur in Odisha.
• The configuration of ABHYAS is designed on an in-line small gas turbine engine and uses indigenously developed MEMS based navigation system for its navigation and guidance.
5) Changi port, recently seen in news, is located in which country?
• A 19-ship exercise organized by the ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting (ADMM)-Plus concluded in Singapore’s Changi port.
• During the exercise, participating navies conducted maritime security drills such as boarding operations and protection of key installations. They also practiced the Code for Unplanned Encounters at Sea and conducted information-sharing to track vessels-of-interest.