News & Events
1) Privileged Iqama system, recently seen in news, is related to which country?
d) Saudi Arabia
• The Saudi government has approved for the first time a scheme that gives permanent residency to certain expatriates, allowing them to own real estate in the kingdom and reside with their families without a Saudi sponsor
• The “Privileged Iqama” system will offer a permanent residence scheme and one that can be renewed annually to highly skilled expatriates and owners of capital funds.
2) The Geological Survey of India has revealed that 35% of the country’s Graphite deposits is found in which state?
b) Tamil Nadu
c) Arunachal Pradesh
• The Geological Survey of India, GSI, has revealed that 35 per cent the country’s Graphite deposits is found in Arunachal Pradesh.
• The GSI presented the data during its annual interactive meeting with the Department of Geology and Mining and Government of Arunachal Pradesh in Itanagar.
3) Sasakawa Award, recently seen in news, is related to
a) Environment protection
b) Disaster management
c) Climate change
• In a matter of huge honour for India, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) conferred the prestigious Sasakawa Award 2019 for Disaster Risk Reduction to Pramod Kumar Mishra, additional principal secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
• The Sasakawa Award is believed to be the most prestigious international award in disaster risk management and it began over 30 years ago.
• It is jointly organised by the UNDRR and the Nippon Foundation, with a total grant of $50,000 distributed among the winners.
4) Poly(diketoenamine), or PDK was seen recently in news in connection with
a) Pesticide runoff
b) Plastic pollution
c) Oil spills
• Now a team of researchers at the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) has designed a recyclable plastic that, like a Lego playset, can be disassembled into its constituent parts at the molecular level, and then reassembled into a different shape, texture, and color again and again without loss of performance or quality. The new material, called poly(diketoenamine), or PDK, was reported in the journal Nature Chemistry.
5) BornaParichoy was authored by which of the following social reformer of India?
a) Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar
b) Raja Rammohan Roy
c) Swami Vivekananda
d) Keshub Chandra Sen
• Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar (1820-1891) was as one of the pillars of Bengal renaissance who managed to continue the social reforms movement that was started by Raja Rammohan Roy in the early 1800s.
• Vidyasagar was a well-known writer, intellectual and above all a staunch supporter of humanity. He had an imposing personality and was revered even by the British authorities of his time.
• He brought about a revolution in the Bengali education system and refined the way Bengali language was written and taught. His book, ‘BornoPorichoy’ (Introduction to the letter), is still used as the introductory text to learn Bengali alphabets.