News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 14 Jun 2019
- June 16, 2019
- Posted by: DOTS ACADEMY
- Category: Quizes
1) The Global Peace Index 2019 was recently released by
a) World Bank
b) Institute for Economics & Peace
c) Walk Free Foundation
• India’s rank has slipped five places to 141 among 163 countries on the Global Peace Index 2019, while Iceland remains the most peaceful country and Afghanistan the least peaceful nation, says a report.
• Australian think tank Institute for Economics & Peace ranks countries according to their level of peacefulness based on three thematic domains — the level of societal safety and security, the extent of ongoing domestic and international conflict and the degree of militarisation.
2) Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV) was recently tested by India. Which other countries possess this technology?
d) All of the above
• India conducted a successful first test flight of the indigenously developed Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV) from a base off the Odisha coast. The only other countries that possess this technology are the US, Russia and China.
• The HSTDV is an unmanned scramjet (allowing supersonic combustion) demonstration vehicle that can cruise up to a speed of mach 6 (or six times the speed of sound) and rise up to an altitude of 32. km in 20 seconds.
• It has a range of uses, including missiles of the future, and energy-efficient, low cost and reusable satellite-launch vehicle.
3) The new Spectrum-Roentgen-Gamma telescope aims to detect
b) 3D X-ray map of the universe
c) Alien life
d) None of the above
• A joint team of German-Russian scientists is all set to launch next week a space telescope, which will create a three-dimensional (3D) X-ray map of the universe and unveil unknown supermassive black holes, dark energy and stars, the Nature reported.
• The telescope, named Spectrum-Roentgen-Gamma (SRG), will be launched into space on a Russian-built Proton-M rocket from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on June 21, 2019.
4) Who among the following is the is the first English language writer to become a Jnanpith laureate.?
a) Salman Rushdie
b) Girish Karnad
c) Amitav Ghosh
d) Pratibha Ray
• Author Amitav Ghosh was felicitated with the 54th Jnanpith Award for his “outstanding contribution to the enrichment of Indian Literature in English
• Mr. Ghosh is the first English language writer to become a Jnanpith laureate.
• The Jnanpith award is the highest literary award in India and can only be conferred upon an Indian citizen. English language was added to the list of languages for consideration after the 49th Jnanpith Award.
5) Indian Navy’s Information Fusion Centre — Indian Ocean Region (IFC-IOR) is located in
b) Andaman and Nicobar
• The Indian Navy is hosting a maritime information sharing workshop under the aegis of the Information Fusion Centre — Indian Ocean Region (IFC-IOR) at Gurugram.
• Issues such as maritime terrorism, piracy, human and drug trafficking, humanitarian assistance as well as disaster relief and the legal perspective of combating these challenges would be looked into.