News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 15 Jun 2019
- June 17, 2019
- Posted by: DOTS ACADEMY
- Category: Quizes
1) Kimberley Process is an international certification scheme that regulates trade in
c) Shale gas
d) Endangered animals
• The Intersessional meeting of Kimberley Process (KP) is being hosted by India from 17th to 21st June, 2019 in Mumbai.
• India is one of the founder members of Kimberley Process Certification Scheme and is the Chair of Kimberley Process for the year 2019
• The Kimberley Process is a joint initiative involving Government, international diamond industry and civil society to stem the flow of Conflict Diamonds. Conflict Diamonds means rough diamonds used by rebel movements or their allies to finance conflict aimed at undermining legitimate governments. It is also described in United Nations Security Council (UNSC) Resolutions.
2) Spitzer Space Telescope will be turned off permanently on January 30, 2020. Which country’s initiative is Spitzer?
• As stated in the statement by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), Nearly, after 16 years of exploring the cosmos in infrared light, NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope will be turned off permanently on January 30, 2020. Beyond its prime mission, the spacecraft have worked for more than 11 years.
• Spitzer is a small but transformational observatory. It was managed and operated by JPL. It apprehends infrared light that is often discharged by warm objects, that are not hot enough to radiate seeable light.
3) RADARSAT Constellation Mission is an initiative of which country?
• SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket successfully launched Canada’s RADARSAT Constellation Mission (RCM), orbiting three satellites that will improve the nation’s ability to conduct maritime surveillance, monitor its ecosystem and climate change, and undertake disaster relief efforts.
4) Juneteenth is considered the oldest known celebration commemorating
a) Trade relations between Asia and Europe
b) End of slavery
c) Blooming of cherry trees
d) Arrival of autumn
• A holiday that is spreading across the U.S. and beyond, Juneteenth is considered the oldest known celebration commemorating the ending of slavery in the United States.
• It was originally celebrated on June 19, the day that Union soldiers in 1865 told enslaved African Americans in Galveston, Texas, that the Civil War had ended and they were free.
5) Cambodia is not bordered by which of the following countries?
• The 16th Asia media summit that kicked-off in Cambodia is deliberating on many issues pertaining to the media and broadcasting industry.