News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 17 Jun 2019
- June 19, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1) The world’s highest operating weather station at Mount Everest is located in the
a) Death Zone
b) Balcony area
c) South Col
d) Everest Base Camp
• Climate scientists have created a history by installing world’s highest operating weather station at Mount Everest’s Death Zone, including five other automated stations on other parts of the mountain
• The other five weather stations that are located in the Mount Everest are in Balcony area (8,430 m), South Col (7,945m) at Phortse (3,810 m), Everest Base Camp (5,315 m) and Camp 2 (6,464 m).
2) One Health, recently seen in news, recognises inter-connectivity among the health of
a) Mothers and babies
b) Females and males
c) Humans and animals
d) None of the above
• The World Organization of Animal Health, commonly known as OIE (an abbreviation of its French title), summarises the One Health concept as “human health and animal health are interdependent and bound to the health of the ecosystems in which they exist”.
3) The World Investment Report was recently released by
b) World Bank
c) World Trade Organisation
d) None of the above
• The World Investment Report has been published annually since 1991 by UNCTAD
• Each year´s Report covers the latest trends in foreign direct investment around the World and analyses in depth one selected topic related to foreign direct investment and development.
4) Balsams or jewel-weeds are flowering plants found mostly in the state of
a) Tamil Nadu
• Between 2010 and 2019, botanists and taxonomists working on Impatiens — a group of plants commonly known as Balsams or jewel-weeds — discovered 23 new species from the eastern Himalayas.
• Consisting of both annual and perennial herbs, balsams are succulent plants with high endemism. Because of their bright beautiful flowers, these group of plants are of prized horticultural significance.
• Of the 83 species described, 45 are from Arunachal Pradesh, 24 from Sikkim and 16 species common to both states.
5) The Gulf of Mexico is not bordered by which of the following countries?
• Scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Louisiana State University confirmed Bradley’s worst fears in forecasts, predicting this spring’s record rainfall would produce one of the largest-ever “dead zones” in the Gulf of Mexico.
• The Gulf of Mexico is an ocean basin and a marginal sea of the Atlantic Ocean, largely surrounded by the North American continent.
• It is bounded on the northeast, north and northwest by the Gulf Coast of the United States, on the southwest and south by Mexico, and on the southeast by Cuba