News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 23 Jan 2020
- January 25, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quizes
1) Democracy Index 2019, released annually by The Economist Intelligence Unit, categorised India as a
a) full democracy
b) flawed democracy
c) hybrid regime
d) authoritarian regime
• In 2019, India slipped 10 places to 51st position. It is placed in the “flawed democracy” category, which also includes Bangladesh (5.88).
• Based on their scores on 60 indicators within these categories, each country is then itself classified as one of four types of regime: full democracy; flawed democracy; hybrid regime; and authoritarian regime.
2) Justice G. Rohini Commission, recently seen in news, is constituted for
a) Sub-categorisation of OBC
b) Data Protection
c) Pendency of cases
d) None of the above
• Cabinet approves Extension of term of the commission constituted under Article 340 of the constitution to examine the issue of Sub-categorization within other Backward Classes in the Central List.
• In October 2017, President Ram Nath Kovind, in exercise of the powers conferred by Article 340 of the Constitution, appointed a commission to examine the issue of sub-categorisation of OBCs, chaired by retired Justice G. Rohini, to ensure social justice in an efficient manner by prioritising the Extremely Backward Classes (EBCs).
3) East Asian Observatory (EAO) is formed for the purpose of pursuing joint projects in astronomy within the East Asian region. Which among the following is not a member of EAO?
• It consists of China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea as full members and Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia as ‘observers’.
• Having India join the group could mean the establishment of new kinds of telescopes — one proposed being in Tibet — that could aid the observation of new black holes and throw light on cosmic phenomena.
4) Vyom Mitra, recently seen in news, is a
a) Robot astronaut
b) Air Purifier
c) Intercontinental ballistic missile
d) None of the above
• It will be used for an unmanned flight of ISRO’s GSLV III rocket in December 2020, which, along with a second unmanned flight in July 2021.
• Vyommitra, equipped with a head, two arms and a torso, is built to mimic crew activity inside the crew module of Gaganyaan.
5) Which among the words where not the part of Preamble of Indian constitution when it was put into effect in 1950?
d) All of the above
• In 1976, the Preamble was amended (only once till date) by the 42nd Constitutional Amendment Act. Three new terms, Socialist, Secular, and Integrity were added to the Preamble. The Supreme Court held this amendment valid.