News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 24 Oct 2018
- October 26, 2018
- Posted by: DOTS ACADEMY
- Category: Quizes
1. Who was conferred with Seoul Peace Prize 2018?
a. Donald Trump
b. Kim Jong-un
c. Vladimir Putin
d. Narendra Modi
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi was conferred with the Seoul Peace Prize 2018 “for his contribution to high economic growth in India and world through ‘Modinomics.
• Modi, who is the fourteenth recipient and the only Indian to bag the award, will receive a diploma, a plaque and honorarium cash prize at a mutually convenient time, the Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement.
• The award also credited Modi’s contribution towards regional and global peace through a proactive foreign policy with countries around the world under the ‘Modi Doctrine’ and the ‘Act East Policy.’
Seoul Peace Prize :
• Established in 1990, the Seoul Peace Prize was an effort to crystallise the Korean people’s yearning for peace on the Korean Peninsula and in the rest of the world.
• It was initially established to commemorate the success of the 24th Olympic Games held in Seoul, Republic of Korea – an event in which 160 nations from across the world took part, creating harmony and friendship and a worldwide atmosphere of peace and reconciliation.
2. Vishaka Guidelines is related to
a. Sexual Harassment at workplace
b. Domestic Violence
d. None of the above
• In 1997, the Supreme Court passed a landmark judgment in the same Vishaka case laying down guidelines to be followed by establishments in dealing with complaints about sexual harassment.
• Vishaka Guidelines were stipulated by the Supreme Court of India, in Vishakha and others v State of Rajasthan case in 1997, regarding sexual harassment at workplace.
• The Vishakha Guidelines were a set of procedural guidelines for use in India in cases of sexual harassment.
• They were promulgated by the Indian Supreme Court in 1997 and were superseded in 2013 by the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013.
3. World’s longest bridge connects China to
c. Hong Kong
d. None of these
• Chinese President Xi Jinping inaugurated a 55-km bridge that will deepen the integration of Hong Kong and Macao with the rest of China.
• The world’s longest sea-crossing bridge will be at the heart of an integrated Greater Bay Area (GBA) covering 11 major neighbouring cities, which include Hong Kong, Macao, Guangzhou and Shenzhen.
• The bridge has been built to withstand super-typhoons, a magnitude 8 earthquake, as well as hits by super-sized cargo ships.
• A 6.7 km underground sea tunnel to allow uninterrupted flow of shipping above, along the super-busy Pearl River Delta, is also part of the bridge’s design.
• In the end, it will cut the travel time between the three cities from three hours to just 30 minutes.
4. Environment ministry has launched which campaign to minimize bursting of crackers?
a. Harit Diwali, Swasth Diwali
b. Safe & Happy Diwali
c. Green Good Deed
d. Safe Diwali
Harith swasth Diwali campaign
• This campaign was initiated in 2017-18 wherein large number of school children especially from eco-clubs participated and took pledge to minimize bursting of crackers and also discouraged the neighbourhood and their friends from bursting of crackers.
• During this intensive campaign, the children were advised to celebrate Diwali in an environment-friendly manner by gifting plant sapling to their relatives and friends.
• The children were encouraged to light up their houses and their schools with candles and diyas.
• The above campaign was extremely successful and the air quality had not deteriorated post Diwali in 2017 unlike what was experienced in 2016.
5. Islands Development Agency (IDA) is chaired by
a. Cabinet Secretary
b. Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
c. Union Home Minister
d. None of the above
• The IDA was set up on June 1 this year following Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s review meeting for the development of islands
• Its first meeting is held recently
• Smith, Ross, Aves, Long and Little Andaman in Andaman & Nicobar and Minicoy, Bangaram, Suheli, Cherium and Tinnakara in Lakshadweep have been identified for development in the first phase.