News & Events
Current Affairs Quiz , 18 Dec 2018
- December 20, 2018
- Posted by: DOTS ACADEMY
- Category: Quizes
1) The recently erupted Mount Soputan volcano is located on which of the following countries?
• Soputan is a small stratovolcano that rises to an elevation of 1,784m, and is located on the northern arm of Sulawesi Island in Indonesia.
• It erupted on 16th December 2018, sending ash about 7.5 km high in the sky.
2) Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is being implemented by which of the following ministries?
a) Ministry of Power
b) Ministry of New and Renewable Energy
c) Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
d) Ministry of Rural Development
• The Union Cabinet on Monday approved the expansion of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, which aims to provide deposit-free LPG connections to all poor households.
• So far, the scheme targeted the poor and underprivileged so listed in the Socio-Economic and Caste Census, 2011.
• Following the Cabinet decision, poor people will be able to opt for the scheme even if they so far were not eligible, after furnishing the required identification documents and an affidavit saying that they do not have an existing LPG connection.
• It is implemented by Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas through its Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) i.e., IOC, BPCL and HPCL through their network of distributors
3) International Migrants Day is celebrated on
a) June 12th
b) April 10th
c) December 18th
d) January 2nd
• International Migrants Day is observed on 18 December in accordance with Resolution 55/93 of the United Nations General Assembly, adopted on 4 December 2000
• This day is observed in many countries, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations through the dissemination of information on human rights and fundamental political freedoms of migrants, and through sharing of experiences and the design of actions to ensure the protection of migrants
4) Which of the following has become the first state in the country to enact a law banning sexual exploitation of women by those in positions of authority, having a fiduciary relationship or a public servant?
c) Jammu and Kashmir
• Jammu and Kashmir became the first state to have a law explicitly banning sexual exploitation of woman by those in positions of authority, having a fiduciary relationship or by a public servant.
• The Bill amended the state Ranbir Penal Code (RPC)—a criminal code applicable in Jammu and Kashmir— whereby specific offence under Section 354E is being inserted to provide for the offence of ‘sextortion’ (the practice of extorting money or sexual favours from someone by threatening to reveal evidence of their sexual activity).
5) Ardh Kumbh Mela, 2019 will be organised in which of the following places?
• Kumbh Mela is a mass Hindu pilgrimage of faith in which Hindus gather to bathe in a sacred or holy river.
• Traditionally, four fairs are widely recognized as the Kumbh Melas: the Prayag Kumbh Mela, Haridwar Kumbh Mela, the Nashik-Trimbakeshwar Simhastha, and Ujjain Simhastha.
• These four fairs are held periodically at one of the following places by rotation: Prayagraj (Allahabad), Haridwar, Nashik district (Nashik and Trimbak), and Ujjain
• The main festival site is located on the banks of a river: Ganges (Ganga) at Haridwar; the confluence (Sangam) of the Ganges and the Yamuna and the invisible Sarasvati at Prayag; the Godavari at Nashik; and the Shipra at Ujjain.
• At any given place, the Kumbh Mela is held once in 12 years
• It has been inscribed on the UNESCO’s Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
• The famous 7th century Chinese traveller Hiuen-Tsang was probably the first person to mention Kumbh Mela in his diary