News & Events
15 things you should know before attending an interview
- April 26, 2019
- Posted by: DOTS ACADEMY
- Category: Exam Updates
Every student attending a job interview has a lot of apprehensions. We have tried to address here most of their apprehensions.
1. Do I need to knock before entering the room?
Yes, you need to knock at the door and then hold the door ajar and ask for permission “May I come in” and enter the room.
2. How should I enter the room?
When you enter the room, see that you don’t drag your feet and make the annoying scratching sound with your shoes. When you are near the table, greet the interviewer.
3. Should I move the chair before sitting for the session?
Firstly, sit only when you are asked to sit. Till then you have to stand behind the chair. The chair will usually be placed in a comfortable position and so there won’t be a need to move it. If at all there arises a need to move it, drag the chair without making noise.
4. How should I sit myself before the interviewer?
Sit straight. Don’t slouch. Don’t lean backwards or forwards. Don’t fidget with your hair, or your dress or even the files thereby distracting the interviewer. Avoid crossing your arms.
5. Should I look into the eyes of the interviewer?
Focus on the interviewer which doesn’t mean staring at him/her. Nor does it mean that you look around while answering. Maintain eye contact when the interviewer asks questions. When you pause to think you can look away briefly and when you start speaking reconnect again.
6. What if I get stressed during the interview?
An appropriate amount of Stress is a positive thing as it helps to focus. But too much stress can wear out mentally, emotionally and physically. So it is essential to stay calm during the session.
7. What if I don’t know the answer to the question?
There is nothing wrong in admitting that you don’t know the answer as the interviewer does not expect you to know everything. Avoid the tendency to bluff when you don’t know the answer. Remain honest.
8. Should I have a serious disposition while answering the question?
A pleasant disposition, positive attitude and politeness are necessary throughout the session.
9. What if I could not express well in English?
Try speaking in English in whatever way you can if the question is in English. In an interview for government jobs, expression of language doesn’t matter much if the idea can be expressed well in any other language.
10. What if I couldn’t understand the question in the first instance?
If you could not understand the question, don’t hesitate to ask in a polite manner.
11. Is it acceptable if I make gestures with hands?
Small simple gestures will inspire confidence and will make you look smarter.
12. What if I cannot recollect the answer immediately?
Don’t pause for too long when the question has been asked. If you cannot recollect it immediately, admit your mistake and move on. Long pauses should always be avoided during the session.
13. How should I exit the room after the interview?
Thank the interviewer when the interview is done with and walk to the door without making noise.
14. What to wear for the interview?
Any formal dress can be worn for the interview. See that there is a sparing use of Perfume, hair spray and other smell. Shoes should be dirt free and shiny and clothes laundered. Make- up and jewellery should be minimum.
15. Do I need to know about the interviewer and the organization that hires me?
Yes, it is very important to know about the interviewer and the organization so that the type of questions can be predicted.